Re: Dotless j found in Finland

From: Alejandros Diamandidis (adia@egnatia.ee.auth.gr)
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 05:35:28 EDT

Michael Everson <everson@indigo.ie> wrote:
>Ar 19:06 +0000 1999-07-14, scríobh Joerg Knappen:
>>Also nice: The dotless i with inverted breve below:
>WARNING! This may be a _turned_ i. The dots are pesky. We need to look into
>this.

This reminded me of something I wanted to ask about here:

In old Greek dictionaries, songbooks and other books where
pronunciation is important, I've seen an alternate letter used
for small iota where it's pronounced as a semi-vowel. The glyphs
I've seen are either a normal iota with a breve below, or
a turned iota with perispomeni (that is, the perispomeni
(or maybe a tilde) is at the bottom).

Now, the first one can be encoded as U+03B9 U+032E. As for the
second, U+2129 U+0330 seems like it should produce the intended
glyph. Anyway, in both cases this is the same character so I don't
think this is very appropriate. Is there an proper encoding for it?
Should be added to Unicode as a new character?

Thanks.

--
Alejandros Diamandidis * adia@egnatia.ee.auth.gr