RE: Naming font styles for Chinese ideographs

From: Tom Emerson (Tree@basistech.com)
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 14:58:34 EDT

And to make matters even more confusing, the official definition of the
traditional Chinese characters comes from Beijing. This has lead to slight
variations in the traditional character sets used in the PRC and those
elsewhere. While Unicode includes all of these differences, legacy encoding
don't necessarily include them all...

        -tre

Language Hacker                                    http://www.basistech.com

-----Original Message----- From: John Cowan [mailto:cowan@locke.ccil.org] Sent: Thursday, July 15, 1999 2:28 PM To: Unicode List Subject: Re: Naming font styles for Chinese ideographs

Markus Kuhn wrote:

> I > am not happy about a proposal of just using country codes, because > nationalities seem to be much less relevant here. > > Any related opinions or advice would be very welcome.

Indeed, the use of traditional characters is not unknown in CN; some editions of the _Thoughts of Chairman Mao__ were published in it. Therefore, neither language nor locale is sufficient.

-- John Cowan http://www.ccil.org/~cowan cowan@ccil.org Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! / Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau / Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge / Politzer