Re: Naming font styles for Chinese ideographs

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 18:08:18 EDT

Markus Kuhn wrote:

> - use ISO 639 / RFC 1766 language codes, as the Unicode plane
> 14 tags and HTML use them ("ja", "zh_TW", "zh_CN", "ko", etc.),

Even though traditional Chinese may be used in mainland China in current
or old documents, it is usually associated with Taiwan. I like the above
proposal, since it is compatible with the Internet, and shorter than
"simplified", etc.

RFC 1766 uses hyphens (e.g. zh-TW), but XLFD does too, so I guess zh_TW
is fine...

Erik