Re: Naming font styles for Chinese ideographs

From: Scott Horne (shorne@metaphasetech.com)
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 18:45:50 EDT

> By _gong1_, I presume he is referring to U+5DE5, as in gong1zuo4.

Yes.

> That character written "with a jog in its vertical stroke" is
> simply a stylistic variant on the same character. That glyph would
> be unified with U+5DE5 as a character. Or if not, why not?

Because Mao uses it distinctively from the canonical form of _gong1_.
So do sources that quote this passage of Mao's (I know of at least
one). The importance of _Mao2 Ze2dong1 xuan3 ji2_ calls for the
inclusion of this variant as a character.

> As for a _ren2_ consisting of "three
> _pier3_ crossing the _na4_", none of the Chinese here can make any
> sense of that --

Not "consisting of"; it is a U+4EBA with three extra _pier3_ across
its _na4_.

> a picture would help!

For convenience' sake, I'll make a simple drawing with fixed-width
ASCII characters:

      /
     /
    / \ /
   / X /
  / / X /
 / / X
/ / \__

> But in any case, the way
> Scott is describing this sounds like another glyph variant -- and
> not a separate character to be encoded.

Again, Mao contrasts it with the canonical form of _ren2_.

Scott Horne