RE: Naming font styles for Chinese ideographs

From: Addison Phillips (AddisonP@simultrans.com)
Date: Fri Jul 16 1999 - 13:08:02 EDT

Actually, UNIX/POSIX locale IDs only have three elements: language, region,
and character set. (e.g. en_US.iso8859-1, zh_TW.big5)

In the past, the character set implied Trad or Simplified. I am simplifying
the case here, of course. However, if we all switch to Unicode, then nothing
is implied by the charset field anymore... ;-)

Also, the way the first two are set up, zh==Chinese, which tells us nothing
about which dialect and which writing system. TW==Taiwan, which implies
traditional. But if we use CN (PRC), that tells us nothing at all if you
wish to disambiguate within the vast variation that is China. Not to mention
the cultural sensitivity problems if the only way to talk about the
_Thoughts of Chairman Mao_ is to use a region setting like Taiwan!

In actual fact, the locale structure itself has much more information in it,
but the way we identify these things was not really structured for this
level of differentiation. There are many areas of the world in which we just
gloss over the problems with the locale ID structure by adopting something
that doesn't quite fit.

The other major locale ID structure in use is DOS/Windows', which is a
variation of the first: it has only TWO elements (language and regional
variation). Code page is implied by the locale or set separately.

A key point here for Chinese is that all computer locales have relies on the
fact (or is it a "fact") that the various dialects use the same writing
system and thus we can ignore dialect in setting up our computer locale
information (dialect will presumably be supplied by writers/translators).

Addison

        Addison Phillips
        Director, Globalization Consulting
        SimulTrans, L.L.C.