Religious Spam (was Re: dotless j)

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 17 1999 - 01:43:18 EDT

At 04:47 -0700 7/13/1999, Marion Gunn wrote:
[snip]
>On the same day the Unicode list distributed Peter's 2 msgs (giving
>"advice" not at first hand), unsolicited American Evangelism advertising
>was shoved through my father's halldoor. When will they (SIL and the
>like) learn enough to just stop spamming the natives? mg

The case of religious and political spamming is similar to the situation of
Concorde when it first flew. During the debate, someone clarified a point,
saying,

"I never said that Concorde wouldn't fly. I said that it would never fly
over articulate voting populations."

The question was raised in the anti-spam movement, whether we should try to
outlaw non-commercial spam in the U.S. The consensus has been that it would
be impossible under the First Amendment, and that it has not been a
significant problem here because spamming angers a large fraction of the
spammees, and few people do it twice (other than con men, who prefer
spamming stock market tips and pyramid schemes, anyway).

We are aware of two political campaigns in the U.S. that tried spamming
registered voters. Now all the campaign consultants know how bad the
reaction is. I have personally received one white supremacist spam, two
spams about rapes and murders of Chinese Christians in Indonesia, and no
church spams in the last decade.

However, we have strayed off-topic. This question is one of the reasons why
the newsgroup comp.org.cauce exists.</shameless but non-commercial plug>
:-)

--
Edward Cherlin                        President
Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail