FW: Possible error in language name 'Byelorussian'

From: Magda Danish (Unicode) (v-magdad@microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Jul 19 1999 - 12:23:39 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Neil T Pothecary [mailto:npfresno@pacbell.net]
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 1999 3:10 AM
To: info@unicode.org
Subject: Possible error in language name 'Byelorussian'

Dear Sir

I visited your web site and looked at page 'Language Codes: ISO 639,
Microsoft and Macintosh', it is my belief that the word 'Byelorussian'
is an exonym, ie a foreign language name for a geographical place, the
'foreign' language being Russian. As long as this country was part of
the Soviet Union, 'Byelorussian' was correct since the national language
of the USSR was Russian, but now that this country is now the
independent Republic of Belarus, I suggest that the language name should
be 'Belarusian'.

I have to say that I am essentially a lay person with no connection with
the area in question other than having travelled through Belarus on
trains on the way to Moscow (without getting off there !)
although one of my previous jobs involved making maps, an activity in
which the correctness of geographical terms was of some importance. I
am sure that you have access to scholarly advice on these things,
nevertheless I would appreciate if at some point in the future you
contact me to indicate whether or not you agree with me.

sincerely,

Neil T Pothecary