Re: Apostrophes, quotation marks, keyboards and typography

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Mon Jul 19 1999 - 14:16:53 EDT

Tom Gewecke wrote:

> Is this in some sense mandatory? I mean if I have a keyboard for instance
> that generates Navajo text using a few special keys for accented vowels and
> the like but uses the normal apostrophe to generate the glottal stop
> character, is this "wrong?" What adverse consequences would there be?

Well, if you want to write Java or XML with Navajo names (the keywords
have to be pseudo-English, but Java identifiers and XML element and
attribute names don't), then you need to use the MODIFIER LETTER
APOSTROPHE as part of those names. The punctuational apostrophes
can't be used that way. So when you are keyboarding Navajo text,
it pays to have the ' key map (at least sometimes) to U+02BC.

--
	John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan	cowan@ccil.org
Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! / Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau,