Re: FATHATAN (was: RE: Presentation of unknowned composited sequences

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sina.sharif.ac.ir)
Date: Tue Jul 20 1999 - 10:05:57 EDT

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Arno Schmitt wrote:

> Dear Gregg, Dear Roozbeh, Dear Reader of The Holy Qur'an
>
> in all my copies of the Qur'an there are
> two sorts of fathatan,
> two sorts of dammata,
> two sorts of kasratan.

Yes, but there is no difference in meaning, the shape of fathatan in this
case is algorithmically derivable, based on a set of rules named
``tajweed'' I think. They are there to ease reading, to help the
non-professional reader while reading. They help him not to think of
tajweed rules. I don't know the Unicode policy about this, but I am tired
of these symbol-characters. Adding these for only being able to have
Qur'an as plain text is not a good idea. (You know, I want to see many
vendors or authors implement Arabic unicode int their software, and these
make it more ambiguous and difficult.)

> In the standard Kaireene edition there are explanation at the end
> of the vcolume with a paragraph on tarkeeb al-Harakatain.

I don't know what do you mean by "standard Kaireene edition". What we
consider the standard in the muslim world is the one published by
government of Saudi Arabia. (With differences in non-letters of course,
for example the official Iranian Qur'an has differences in placement of
"waqf" signs, like U+06D6 or U+06D9.)

--Roozbeh