off topic: Re: Unicode in source code. WHY?

From: A. Vine (avine@eng.sun.com)
Date: Tue Jul 20 1999 - 15:20:31 EDT

> On Tue, 20 Jul 1999 08:28:17 -0700 (PDT), Michael Everson wrote:
>

> >As an educated native speaker of English I would like to inform you that
> >even English, correctly spelled, requires characters other than the letters
> >A-Z, as in naturalized words such as façade, café, vicuña, and so on.

Unaccented spellings of these and many many other words borrowed from other
Latin alphabet based languages are perfectly correct in English. I just looked
up those 3 examples in Webster's New Riverside for further confirmation and the
unaccented versions are listed as proper spellings.

English speakers do not have accents as part of their native alphabet. We adapt
other language spellings as necessary - for Latin character based languages,
this means dropping the accents/diacritics, for other character sets this means
transliteration.

Of course, the accented versions are perfectly correct as well.

Andrea

--
Andrea Vine
Sun Internet Mail Server i18n architect