Re: FATHATAN

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sina.sharif.ac.ir)
Date: Wed Jul 21 1999 - 11:45:51 EDT

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Arno Schmitt wrote:

> Could you elaborated on the tajweed rules? Do you think that some of
> the special qur'anic "presentation forms" should go? Or will they
> already be elimiated in version 3.0?

First of all, I checked with my religious friends, and they told me that
Iranian (and perhaps Shiite's) official Qur'an is Hafs version, but as
read by 'Asim, so there is no single official Qur'an with the same
encoding in Unicode if you want to add the Qur'anic marks to letters.

The tajweed rules are almost the thing Gregg said. In this case, they talk
about two rules called ``Idghaam'' and ``Ikhfaa'' (the case interesting
here for us). Idghaam occurs when tanween or any other occurence of noon
is followed (in pronounciation) by a letter in `yarmaloon', i.e., `YEH',
`REH', `MEEM', `LAM', `WAW', `NOON'. Ikhfaa occurs when tanween of any
other noon is followed by any ``other'' letter, that are the letters other
than `yarmaloon', `BEH', `HAMZA' (any kind), `HEH', `HAH', `KHAH', `AIN',
and `GHAIN'.

Ok, it seems that the rules are complicated, specially when we are talking
about being followed in pronounciation. I agree. I will sign the purposal.

--Roozbeh