Re: Off topic: English orthography

From: Scott Horne (shorne@metaphasetech.com)
Date: Wed Jul 21 1999 - 17:14:11 EDT

> However, American (elementary) schools that teach penmanship

Such schools exist? One would hardly imagine so from looking at
samples of handwriting from the US.

> When I need to write it, I make a mark that looks to me like a Cedilla,
> but no one has
> ever taught me the right way to draw it, which strokes to use in which
> order,

There is only one stroke, and it is written downward. No one ever
taught me this, either; I managed to figure it out for myself. I don't
count it among my greatest intellectual achievements.

> and I certainly have no clue how to do it when writing cursively.

If you're the compulsive type that insists on joining all his letters,
keep writing until the end of the word, then go back and fill in the
cedilla. Otherwise stop at a convenient point, add the cedilla, and
continue.

> And although dictionary lookup is taught, where to find C-cedilla, or
> other accented
> characters is not covered.

I suppose that's left as an exercise for the astute reader.

> The general population (I suspect) has no idea and is probably confused
> by them, excepting
> those that have secondary language exposure.

The general population of the US has little idea of how to use
an ordinary _c_, to say nothing of a _ç_.

Scott Horne