Re: Unicode in source

From: schererm@us.ibm.com
Date: Thu Jul 22 1999 - 19:19:44 EDT

more hints and tips - couldn't leave the keyboard alone...
markus

"G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net> on 99-07-22 15:31:41
Subject: Re: Unicode in source

On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 02:10:16PM -0700, John Cowan wrote:
> Either way, but with an appropriate BOM, and good software will be
> able to cope.

What's a BOM? I tried to look it up on AltaVista and got a lot of religious
references in what seemed like Portuguese ("Bom Jesus"). I suspect that is
not what you are talking about. :-)

*** a Byte Order Mark, also known as a Unicode file signature;
*** the byte sequence that a given encoding produces out of a U+feff
*** but maybe you did not really ask this...

*** if we want to preserve ASCII texts and have a compact
*** file encoding, then how about SCSU (see TR 6)?

> > But editors on both system can handle this minor quirk.
>
> Some editors. Try Notepad (the standard Windows plaintext editor),
> which can cope with UTF-16 fine but is baffled by bare-LF.

I was describing how I work. I was talking about editors I use, not trying
to imply all editors can handle everything. Are you sure Notepad on Win95
can cope with UTF-16? Perhaps on WinNT? Win95 pays only lip service to
Unicode.

*** win nt notepad recognizes and writes UTF-16LE
*** win98/2000 wordpad recognizes and writes UTF-16LE, UTF-16BE, and UTF-8

For the record, under Windows I use the editor that comes with Visual C++.
Notepad is not exactly a programmer's editor. :-)

*** the editor that comes with visual j++ and interdev does handle UTF-16
*** [UCS-2 so far], and rumours are microsoft wants to get to a
*** single visual studio editor based on this one.

Adam