Re: German penny symbol

From: Torsten Mohrin (mohrin@sharmahd.com)
Date: Fri Jul 23 1999 - 07:20:40 EDT

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:32:40 -0700 (PDT), Markus Kuhn wrote:

>John Cowan wrote on 1999-07-22 19:05 UTC:
>> What happened to U+20B0 GERMAN PENNY SYMBOL
>
>Where does this symbol come from and what does it look like?
>Is the proposal and rationale for including it somewhere online?

I don't know where it comes from but to me it looks like a German
handwritten (Sütterlin) small "d". But this may be only a visual
resemblance.

I can send you a GIF, I you wish.

>Markus
>(a poor German who has neither ever seen a German penny symbol anywhere,
>nor is aware of any currency unit "penny" ever used anywhere in the land
>of Schiller, Goethe, and Walkes.)

I have no physical evidence of the _real_ use of the Pfennig symbol,
right now. About 20 years ago we had a corner shop
("Tante-Emma-Laden") in our street. The owner used the Pfennig symbol
on the price labels. I can remember things like this, because I was
always facinated of "strange" symbols.

My father (who is 70) and my grandmother (who is 90) still know the
Pfennig symbol very well.

I have evidence of the use of the Pfennig symbol in printed form in
dictionaries, though. One of them is "Lexikon der Abkürzungen" by
Bertelmann Lexikon Verlag.

Along with the Pfennig symbol the Pfund symbol (pound; weight not
currency) was used on this price labels. It looks like a small cursive
"u" where the tail on the bottom right side is lengthened in S-form
and overlaps the "u" (hard to describe this thing). My mother still
uses this symbol when she makes notes.

In printed form I saw it only in dictionaries.

--
Torsten Mohrin
Sharmahd Computing GmbH, Hannover, Germany