Re: UTF-32 and Pfennig

From: Torsten Mohrin (mohrin@sharmahd.com)
Date: Fri Jul 23 1999 - 14:10:28 EDT

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999 06:43:06 -0700 (PDT), Markus Kuhn wrote:

>Torsten Mohrin wrote on 1999-07-23 11:19 UTC:
>> Could you please clarify the difference between the terms "UCS-4" and
>> "UTF-32".
>
>http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr19/

Thanks. Obviously I should check the site more often :)

>> My father (who is 70) and my grandmother (who is 90) still know the
>> Pfennig symbol very well.
>
>Hm, sounds to me like a good candidate for Plane 1 next to the ancient
>Egyptian scripts. In any case, I think the addition of the GERMAN
>PFENNIG SYMBOL is a very good sign. It indicates that we are now
>starting to run out of good ideas for useful characters that are still
>missing in Unicode 3.0. :-)

Although my grandmother is not ancient yet ;) , I wonder if the
occurence in some books justifies the inclusion into UCS. It's
definitely not in use anymore in everyday life. Maybe somebody has
some more examples of its use in recent publications.