Re: PFENNIG SIGN

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Jul 23 1999 - 15:24:25 EDT

>Asmus. Where is the document discussing this character? I haven't seen the
>sign in print either. And who was it came up with the name, which is unlike
>all the other currency sign names?

Two things. I know that you care about names, but the names are in English,
and "penny" is the perfectly correct English name for Pfennig.

PENNY SYMBOL (German)

would be the most correct name for it, in my personal opinion.

I have not personally written the symbol, but I've seen it many times when
I was growing up in Germany, so this is a perfectly legit symbol, on par
with the CENT SIGN (which also is not a popular sybmol for a fraction of an
official currency), but no longer in fashion.

A./