XFree86 looks for Unicode font donations

From: Markus Kuhn (Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Jul 24 1999 - 05:17:16 EDT

If any of you have freely redistributable BDF or TrueType fonts with a
significant Unicode coverage (at least WGL4) that you would like to
provide to the XFree86 free X server project, please contact me. A
number of font companies (Adobe, DEC, B&H, etc.) have in the early 1990s
donated numerous BDF fonts with the Adobe Standard encoding to what was
then called the X Consortium. B&H has recently generously given us a
very nice Unicode update to some of their Lucida fonts. Would Adobe, DEC
(Compaq?), or someone else also be interested in updating their X
consortium font contributions or donate new fonts? I'd be happy to take
care of the technical details (attaching proper X properties,
reencoding, proofreading, etc.), in fact I have already most of the
tools to do this in place. The XFree86 4.0 server will be able to handle
BDF, Type1 and TrueType fonts. (The rendering quality of the Type 1
engine is somewhat limited at the moment but is expected to be
improved.)

It would be a great service to the GNU/Linux/FreeBSD communities, if we
could update especially the classic Adobe fonts (Times, Helvetica,
Courier, New Century Schoolbook, etc.) to at least WGL4. I believe that
this would significantly stimulate the use of Unicode under Linux and on
the Web.

Markus