qvint

From: Erland Sommarskog (sommar@algonet.se)
Date: Tue Jul 27 1999 - 19:29:35 EDT

[Warning: this is completely off-topic. I just wanted to make a
factual correction.]

"Figge, Donald" <Donald.Figge@usa.xerox.com> writes:
> A Swedish limerick spells it with a 'q,' but in this case it apparently
> refers to a liquid measure(?):
>
> IMBELUPNA QVINTEN
> Imbelupet glaset står på bräcklig fot,
> kalla pilsnerflaskor lutar sig därmot.
> Men där nere,
> miserere,
> uti magens labyrintsitter
> djävulen och väntar på en qvint.

This is obviously not a limerick. It is a drinking song however.

"qvint" in this context, simply means the fifth snaps. The whole
song has eight verses in the songbook where I find it. (And
which spells it "kvint" by the way.) The first four lines are
unchanged, whereas the last two are variations of the above,
going from the first to the eighth snaps.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, sommar@algonet.se