Re: FW: Characters suitable for delimiters

From: Mark Davis (mark@macchiato.com)
Date: Fri Jul 30 1999 - 00:25:36 EDT

What you think of as gaps are actually assigned characters; moreover,
even unassigned characters cannot be used for your purposes, except for
the Private Use Characters (U+E000 - U+F8FF). You also ask about
delimiters in the standard; you would have to explain what you mean by
that (i.e., what are you delimiting? Words? Paragraphs? Database
fields?).

For an update on the state of the upcoming version of the standard, look
at
http://www.unicode.org/unicode/standard/versions/Unicode3.0-beta.html.
It also has new html documentation of the database files that I think
would clarify the structure of the database files, at

ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/3.0-Update/UnicodeCharacterDatabase-3.0.0.beta.html

ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/3.0-Update/UnicodeData-3.0.0.beta.html

Mark