Re: Unicode Keyboards

From: John Clews (10646er@sesame.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Aug 06 1999 - 06:24:03 EDT

Roozbeh Pournader wrote on 5 August 1999:

> > Does anyone know of a purposal etc. available for Unicode-capable
> > keyboards? I don't know much about the East Asian part of the
> > Unicode, but in the other parts, when I look, I can see that only about
> > 10% of the characters in other parts can be typed on legacy keyboards.
> >
> > Is anyone working on these? ISO perhaps? Or an organization of some
> > companies like Unicode?

A project code-named RED KEY, under development by CMC Ltd on the
basis of several earlier prototypes, is doing exactly that, and we
will be looking for other partners soon to enable this to be put into
operation on a wider basis. RED KEY will enable touch typing in most
languages in Unicode, changing the script in use with a simple
hotkey. It will also have options to integrate this with national
keyboard layouts and many other layouts.

CMC Ltd have been planning the RED KEY prototype along with several
other planned projects, as part of the planned REDSTART programme of
activities. REDSTART originally stood for Reusing European Data:
STAtistics for Readability in Translation, but is being extended to
cover language optimisation of Unicode and related developments from
the user's point of view, covering needs from all countries. It aims
to maximise data integrity and usability, in transformation and
translation of real-world language data, and to develop new and
effective prototypes of products, particularly related to UCS
(ISO/IEC 10646 and Unicode).

Further enquiries on RED KEY should be sent to the address below.

John Clews

--
John Clews,  Associate Consultant,  RED KEY Project,  REDSTART Programme
CMC Ltd,  Middle Oast, Steep Marsh, Petersfield, Hampshire, GU32 2BN, UK