Re: Last Call: UTF-16

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Sun Aug 15 1999 - 21:39:03 EDT

Michael Everson notes:

> Look, I can't send anything but 8-bit code pages through the internet
> because I use Mac OS 8.5 which has no Unicode support. (Note to Deborah, I
> know that there's some stuff hidden in the TEI folder but until I can type
> a thorn, an fi-ligature, a c-cedilla and a c-caron in the same file in
> TeachText without switching fonts it means that there's no Unicode support
> in the Mac OS.)

Well, the current plan is for Mac OS 9 to have a TeachText equivalent which
supports all of Unicode.

While I don't disagree with your basic point, if you are *sending* say
MacRoman text, the fact of the matter is that you can send it *as* Unicode,
and your mail client could do the conversion for you. Similarly, browsers
are getting better and better at handling stuff like UTF-8 that is brought
in. So although things aren't nearly where we'd like them, they're getting
there.

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com