Re: Last Call: UTF-16

From: Martin J. Duerst (duerst@w3.org)
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 05:29:11 EDT

At 22:26 99/08/17 -0700, Eric Brunner wrote:
> >This still does not mean the Internet should endorse or promote the use
> >of private character sets, or even allow it.
>
> Like Ken, I've found something in this thread that bothers me. The IR and
> the rhetoric surrounding it. Not UTF16, not by a very long shot.

Same for me. Besides the points already noted, it should be
noticed that the IR, despite its seemingly widereaching
abbreviation, by full title is:

INTERNATIONAL REGISTER OF CODED CHARACTER SETS TO BE USED WITH ESCAPE SEQUENCES

[directly from http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/ISO-IR/].

This indicates that it is not the intent of the registry
to be a registry for everything; just for everything that
needs an escape sequence. As the needs for escape sequences
and the needs for charset parameter values may not be completely
the same, it is no surprise that the two registries don't
contain exactly the same.

So please don't make "the one and only official registry for
character sets" out of a clearly purposed registry.

Regards, Martin.

#-#-# Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-# mailto:duerst@w3.org http://www.w3.org