Re: Normalization Form KC for Linux

From: Mark H. David (mhd@world.std.com)
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 09:48:44 EDT

At 01:34 AM 8/18/99 -0700, Markus Kuhn wrote:
> character sequences where available. More formally, the preferred way of
> encoding text in Unicode under Linux should be Normalization Form KC as
> defined in Unicode Technical Report #15

>I hope this recommendation meets general approval.

I have a problem with this for Yiddish. There are just 11 precomposed
characters needed for Yiddish from the Hebrew block, and all are contained
in FBxx as of Unicode 3.x. However, they have been excluded from
Normalization Form KC, along with the few other Hebrew precomposed
characters.

So this does not work.

Instead, there has to either be a workable normalization form, or
precomposed characters have to be chosen despite exclusions prescribed by
this Normalization Form KC.

Mark David
Moderator, UYIP - http://www.uyip.org