Re: Camion Code, new phonemic writing system

From: A. Vine (avine@eng.sun.com)
Date: Wed Aug 18 1999 - 21:55:44 EDT

I would like to add that phonetic writing of English results in different
spellings for the same word in the different Englishes. So while it _might_
(and that's a _tenuous_ might) solve some problems, it creates others.

If you'd like more information, please contact the American Dialect Society
(http://www.americandialect.org) or post to the EDIE-CECTAL list, a British
Isles dialect list (see
http://www.ling.lancs.ac.uk/staff/visitors/kenji/lis-ling.htm# EDIE-CECTAL).

Regards,
Andrea

--
Andrea Vine
Sun-Netscape Alliance messaging i18n architect

Kenneth Whistler wrote: > > JoAnne wrote: > > > > > Hello all, I joined the list about a week ago and this is my first posting. > > I have included below a 'broadly targeted' text explaining why I am > > proposing a new (non-alphabetic!) form of writing (description on my web > > site - in 'signature'). This system (the Camion Code) would extract Patrik > > (and others) from the clutches of the 'castrated ram', and Eric, his (P.S.) > > 'least' for 'lest'. Any feedback (wild enthusiasm preferred ;-), > > suggestions, or help! would be greatly appreciated - particularly with > > regard to preparing binary coding suitable for submission to Unicode (? - > > recent postings have left me a bit confused as to 'standards bodies'...). > > I'll be happy to answer any questions or supply further elements on > > request. Thank you. JoAnne ('An American in Paris') > > > > Well, I'm sorry to say that you won't be able to count me among the > wildly enthusiastic. I would suggest that you study the long, sad > history of English spelling reform. It is not for want of logically > constructed, phonetic (or phonemic) alternatives that English has > stubbornly maintained its spellings -- only gradually yielding in > nooks and crannies, very slowly, as new words come in and old ones > disappear. > > > The correct URL is: > > http://www.filnet.fr/perso/jmarie/fonetima.htm