Ideographic Description Characters [was: Re: Camion Code, new phonemic writing system]

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Aug 20 1999 - 17:26:58 EDT

Jon noted:

> I have just today been made aware of the Ideographic
> Description Characters coming out in Unicode 3.0 and I am
> going to study that.
>
> <http://anubis.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n1782.doc>

Keep in mind that the IDC's are *visible* dingbats sitting
in text, used in combination with ideographs and/or radicals,
to *describe* an unencoded Han ideograph.

The IDC's are *not* a composition method per se. They are
not invisible control/format characters. Ideographic
Description Sequences do *not* imply any formal equivalences
in the standard.

--Ken