Re: New phonemic writing system and its binary coding

From: JoAnne Marie (jmarie@filnet.fr)
Date: Mon Aug 23 1999 - 22:28:46 EDT

With all due respect (also), I was not looking for your opinions on the
subject of orthographic reform of English (but thank you for the
reference). I came to this group specifically for feedback on
'Unicode-compatible' binary coding for the Camion Code (paragraph 5 of my
initial posting):

"In terms of its binary coding, once the text has been designated as
consisting of Camion Code 'characters', I envisage that the (furthest
right?) digit should be 0 for punctuation to follow, and 1 for a speech
sound. The second digit would be 0 for a vowel sound, and 1 for a
consonant. The 3rd, 4th, and 5th (2 * 2 * 2 = 8) would indicate the
positions (on the lines/between the lines). The 6th bit would denote
whether a consonant is voiceless (0) or voiced (1), or, if its a vowel,
whether its 'stretched' or 'rounded'. And the 7th bit would be 1 when a
'button' is pressed to indicate that this sound is to be 'linked' to
another sound following it (as in diphthongs and digraphs (including
fricatives), for example)."

JoAnne Marie, jmarie@filnet.fr
CV, Phonetics and Poetry on:
http://www.filnet.fr/perso/jmarie