RE: ta' marbuta

From: Reynolds, Gregg (greynolds@datalogics.com)
Date: Wed Aug 25 1999 - 11:22:05 EDT

Dear Joseph,

Thanks for your response. Alas, I don't think it addresses the issues I
would like to raise: I think the passage you quote misinterprets the
semantics of ta marbuta. However, as a courtesy to those on the list who
consider such discussions more noise than signal, I'll put the full
explanation of it on a web page, along with the text of a standard grammar,
and send the url to the list.

You advance one argument that I would like to address, however, and that is
the CAT/cAt/cat/etc distinction, the handling of which you seem to claim is
an implementation issue. I would point out that case distinctions are
normative in Unicode, so we know the semantics regardless of implementation
behavior. It's not clear to me if Joining Class is normative or not:
presumably it is, though it is not listed in the table at the beginning of
Chapter 4. But in this case, it looks to me like Unicode positively
prohibits proper interpretation of ta marbuta in Arabic langauge texts!
Have I misunderstood something about Unicode here?

-gregg