Re: Normalization Form KC for Linux

From: Juliusz Chroboczek (jec@dcs.ed.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 13:22:06 EDT

Dan <Dan.Oscarsson@trab.se>:

D> I have not yet located why. I can see ways were software can
D> handle them much easier if they comes before.

I'd like to second Dan in his request for an explanation here.
Putting combining characters before a spacing character allows you to
determine the end of the composite as you reach it (think about
reading a stream of codepoints from a network connection). With
combining characters after the base character, you need one character
of lookahead (is the next character combining?).

So why did Unicode chose to put combining marks after the base
character?

                                        J.