Re: Normalization Form KC for Linux

From: Rick McGowan (rmcgowan@apple.com)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 14:33:08 EDT

Ar 10:19 -0700 1999-08-30, scríobh Juliusz Chroboczek:
>So why did Unicode chose to put combining marks after the base
>character?

For many scripts, it makes more sense because of the heavier use of
conjoining. And it's not particularly bad for Latin/Greek/Cyrillic either.
(And I do I speak from serious implementation experience.)

This is one of those questions that gets asked and answered all the time.
If someone were to dig through the old mail archives, the answer is bound to
turn up there at least half a dozen times. The question is also answered in
the standard itself, I believe, on page 2-15 of Unicode 2.0.

This is also a question that should probably be added to the FAQ.

        Rick