Re: Hangzhou Numerals

From: Patrick Andries (pandries@iti.qc.ca)
Date: Sat Sep 04 1999 - 18:40:22 EDT

I had the same question about the origin of the name of those numerals as I
was translating ISO 10646 into French.

This is what I found in G. Ifrah's Histoire universelle des chiffres (2
volumes of a thousand pages each, I'm not sure this edition has been
translated into English), vol. I, p. 633

« To the various forms presented above, one needs to add the very special
aspect of the signs used only by shopkeepers to indicate the price of their
wares. Called gán mà zí ["kan ma tseu" in EFEO transcription] ("secret
marks"), these numerals are those that every foreigner visiting the center
of China must absolutely know if he is to understand the amount of his
bill. »

G. Ifrah has two variants for numeral five (the form represented in the
character charts and a kind of z in latin script) and numeral one hundred
(a kind of hooked theta and some character looking like a 3) (not in ISO
10646).

G. Ifrah (p. 651) also indicated that these numbers are used in Japan and
names them "commercial forms".

I am therefore as perplexed as others as to why these numerals are named
"Hangzhou" in English.

P. Andries
Dorval (Québec)