Italics with everything? (was Re: IPA a vowels)

From: Edward Cherlin (
Date: Sat Sep 11 1999 - 03:56:34 EDT

At 06:37 -0700 9/10/1999, Markus Kuhn wrote:
> - A proportional or italic font will typically not come with block
> drawing characters, because these make only sense for
> upright fixed-width fonts. Similarly, italic fonts will usually
> not have all mathematical operators and APL symbols, because
> these are traditionally only used in upright form.

Your conclusion is correct, but not for the reason you give. APL is
supposed to combine italic letters with upright math symbols. I have a copy
of the font "APLitalic" somewhere around here that I used to use in APL
News. (I've given up APL symbols myself. Iverson's newest APL-like language
uses pure ASCII.)

>Markus G. Kuhn, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge, UK
>Email: mkuhn at, WWW: <>

Edward Cherlin
"It isn't what you don't know that hurts you, it's
what you know that ain't so."--Mark Twain, or else
some other prominent 19th century humorist and wit