Re: ASCII Consortium

From: Administrator (Administrator@apple.com)
Date: Mon Sep 13 1999 - 19:32:07 EDT

Markus so generously pointed us to:

        http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~rwb197/ascii/

The proprietor of the ASCII Consortium shamelessly appropriated not
only that spiffy, sparkly "real nineties" Unicode look & feel in
those gorgeous drop-dead colors, but actually purloined some of the
exquisite slick Warholesque artwork, and even *gasp!* "liberated"
that pillar of quixotic design, the Unicode Copyright notice itself!
Have those Brits no shame??? (Check the bottom center of the
so-called "ASCII Consortium" web page where it says "Copyright
1991-1999 Unicode, Inc." Tsk tsk tsk. What a careless counterfeit
job! I'm glad this guy's not printing *my* money...) And if you dig
into the HTML page source, you'll see blatantly ripped off bits of
HTML and even the word "Unicode" still appears right there in the
file. But none of the links go anywhere... Sheesh...

I'm sure that rwb197@ecs.soton.ac.uk will soon be hearing from a mob
of big hairy lawyers with bulging briefs... How big and hairy will
those lawyers be? As big and hairy as some of the Unicode members, I
suppose... Heh heh heh... I wonder if the "solicitors" at the
University of Southampton are hairy? They're probably beardless
wimps who no doubt drink watery American "beer" in half-pint
quantities...

        Rick