Re: A basic question on encoding Latin characters

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Mon Sep 27 1999 - 09:46:55 EDT

John Hudson scripsit:

> While I'm sympathetic to the desire to
> enforce the abstract character philosophy in Unicode, I don't want to be
> the person who has to explain to the Chechens why the Germans, French,
> Dutch, Italians, etc., can have all their diacritic letters encoded but the
> Chechens cannot.

"Because the Germans, French, Dutch, and Italians were forced to use
obsolete 8-bit character sets with which ISO 10646 is forced to
be one-for-one interconvertible. As an emerging computer-using
nation, you are free to use ISO 10646 as it was intended to be used."

Or something like that.

       I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin