Re: UTF-7

Date: Mon Sep 27 1999 - 12:34:22 EDT

as far as i remember discussions here on the list, there is one standard that
uses utf-7 in some protocol fields (imap??).
otherwise, utf-7 is dead, dead, dead, and rest in peace.
it is unnecessary and clumsy, and i hope that it does _not_ find its way into
any more implementations.
it is deprecated, too - see and

one of the big drawbacks is that a single character gets a number of different
encodings depending on the context. if you need a mail-safe encoding, have a
look at utf-8 - or base64, if you expect to encounter medieval mail gateways.

Markus Scherer IBM Cupertino, CA +1 408 777 5860 Fax ..5891

Robert Brady <> on 99-09-27 07:54:24