Re: Normalization and the principled U-turn

From: Deborah Goldsmith (goldsmith@apple.com)
Date: Tue Sep 28 1999 - 19:33:04 EDT

on 9/28/99 8:22 AM, Michael Everson <everson@indigo.ie> wrote:

>> Yes if the normalisation data is hard coded into your applications - but
>> they could be designed to read in a file containing table information for
>> new or additional normalisation and sorting rules. Perhaps what is needed
>> is a standard format for such files.
>
> Like Apple's TEI stuff?

I assume you're referring to TEC -- the Text Encoding Converter. It does
store its data in files, but they're in an internal binary format, not
anything readable.

We sidestep this issue by handling both composed and decomposed forms in all
of our Unicode software. Normalization is less of an issue for us.

Deborah Goldsmith
Manager, International Toolbox Group
Apple Computer, Inc.
goldsmith@apple.com