RE: A basic question on encoding Latin characters

From: Reynolds, Gregg (greynolds@datalogics.com)
Date: Tue Sep 28 1999 - 20:38:21 EDT

I'll top that: I think there is substantial risk that Unicode will hasten
rather than prevent the demise of endangered languages. Look at the
economic/ecology of computation, and then consider the trouble it has
getting it right even for languages with major clout (it's still broken for
Arabic in my opinion). And it doesn't only affect computer geeks; I
recently saw an article about some guy in South Africa teaching illiterate
trackers to use Palm Pilots to record wildlife observations. The smaller
and cheaper computational devices become, the more thorough their
penetration of populations on the periphery will be, and the more intense
the pressure will be on linguistic minorities to adopt the dominant language
or dialect. Technological instruments like Unicode, far from being
ideologically neutral (as some messages on this list have strongly implied),
are just as freighted politically as any other Big Project (dams, roads,
etc), and must be viewed in a much broader context than the merely
technical.

-gregg