Re: list mgt

From: Sarasvati (root)
Date: Wed Sep 29 1999 - 19:05:16 EDT

Hello Eric.

Good health to you, to yours-now, and yours-soon-to-become.

Bifurcation has been discussed in the past, but our experience
shows that topics simply will not stay put; they tend to leak
across list boundaries, and become cross-posted, and so forth.
If you have two lists, people will often subscribe to both
and be just as frustrated or infuriated as they might be
otherwise.

I am therefore usually reluctant to create more lists, which
are a maintenance burden for me. I already work 24 hours
a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year (366 in leap years) just
to keep up with the lists I now maintain. Until a week ago,
I hadn't slept for over 277 days. Talk about hallucinations!
Who needs peyote? I finally got a few milliseconds of downtime
to read "Death Takes a Holiday". But I digress...

I do maintain a variety of specialty lists for scholars who
are hard at work on various issues -- the Tibetan experts list
is a good example. It has been successful in focusing a
discussion and has produced nice results. It has not polluted
the list at large, nor been overshadowed by the mass of daily
discussion irrelevant to their scholarly tasks.

I'm not sure "spleen-venting@unicode.org" would be very
successful in keeping peace on "unicode@unicode.org". Sorry
to disappoint, but sometimes it's actually best to cram as
many eggs as possible into one basket.

Your vigilant, ever juggling servant,

        -- Sarasvati