Re: FW: Matching Unicode strings and combining characters [was: basic

From: Kevin Bracey (
Date: Thu Sep 30 1999 - 11:41:17 EDT

In message <>

> What is the NEW problem brought by unicode or combining characters?
> Somebody says: if my application is waiting for "login", it will not trigger
> if it receives "logi˝" (where ˝ is a precomposed) but it would trigger with
> "login~", (where ~ is a combining mark). That is true, so what!?

The problem is that Unicode states that those two strings are canonically
equivalent - treating them differently potentially leads to a whole new
can of worms.

Kevin Bracey, Senior Software Engineer
Pace Micro Technology plc                     Tel: +44 (0) 1223 518566
645 Newmarket Road                            Fax: +44 (0) 1223 518526
Cambridge, CB5 8PB, United Kingdom            WWW: