Re: Missing North American characters?

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Sun Oct 03 1999 - 10:29:02 EDT

Dear Eric,

>List attitude is as easy as grabbing an editor, an empty buffer, and a
>list that approves its expression. Try not confuse Everson's schedule
>"now" for mine, there is a difference between "won't" and "in a queue".

I don't have a schedule, Eric. I am interested in supporting the world's
languages in the Universal Character Set supports the world's languages,
large and small.

Earlier I was a bit exasperated by having discussion with you, because it
seemed to me that you had said there were known gaps in the UCS with regard
to the support of a number of languages. I did not understand your
reticence to provide further information or contacts with people who could
provide such information. This troubled me, because I am concerned that the
UCS be the best it can be. Working with many scripts, I have found that
dialogue between experts on both sides of the encoding issue even at very
early stages of discussion can be quite beneficial to all.

However, it was only subsequently that you kindly provided the information
that the communities with which you are in contact have not fully
identified their requirements. Had you done so in the first instance, I
might have understood you better and might not have offended you, as it
seems that I have, to my regret.

I am not now and have not been engaging in any kind of ego-exercise, nor
have I tried to score points either for myself or against anyone else.

Beir bua agus beannacht,

--
Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478 2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)