Re: Burma/Myanmar

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Tue Oct 05 1999 - 22:31:27 EDT

At 05:23 PM 10/5/99 -0700, Christopher John Fynn wrote:

>I knew Dr. Michael Aris (Aung San Suu Kyi's husband) and he always
>used the name "Burma" - as do several prominent Burmese closely
>associated with her that I've met in the UK.

Yes, people associated with the democracy movement seem to use the name
Burma exclusively. I expect that the main reason for this is that they
refuse to recognise the legitimacy of the regime which changed their
country's name; that is, I don't think they object to the name Myanmar so
much as to the regime which imposed it.

My father fought at Kohima, and I find it very hard to think of that
country as anything other than Burma.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks
Vancouver, BC