Re: Combining Marks and Keyboard Input on GUI systems

From: Alain LaBonté (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 15:28:16 EDT

À 11:09 1999-10-07 -0700, Tex Texin a écrit :
>Another reason to localize hot keys is that keyboards are localized-
>IE it takes different finger patterns to select keys and key presses
>that
>might be easy to generate on one keyboard can be difficult on another.
>
>So even non-Asian systems can benefit from changing the hot keys, if
>typing efficiency is being considered.
>
>However, making the key choices mnemonic is generally
>the most important motivation.
>tex

Furthermore, even for the Latin-script keyboards, even the alphabetic
characters are not all on the same keys. This is often annoying, as the
pretentions of software in an even localized version does not always work
(it is typical). When characters are non-alphabetic, it is even worse...
Try < CTRL-' > on a standard Canadian keyboard such as the one I use. In
one of my favorite piece of software (French version), it is claimed to
work, but it doesn't. I don't know what they do in fact... Direct hot-key
processing by applications should either be banned or be made a function of
the environment (OS), in my humble user opinion.

Alain LaBonté
Québec