Re: Mazovian code page

From: Tex Texin (
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 15:24:39 EDT

Thanks Juliusz!

This information is the same as the notes that I had, which were
a markup of a 437 code page. The plchars.html is also very nice.

Best regards,

Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> Tex Texin, encoding archaeologist:
> >>Does anyone have a chart of the Mazovian code page, that they
> >>can e-mail me or fax me?
> Michael Everson:
> > Is this a joke? Mazovia is a province of medieval Poland.
> Masovia (in Latin) or Mazowsze (in Polish) is a region of central
> Poland (the region of Warsaw). The region already existed in the
> Middle Ages, and actually was a duchy before Poland ever became a
> kingdom.
> Mazovia (note the hybrid spelling) is an encoding that was used on
> machines running MS-DOS before MS noticed Eastern Europe. As far as I
> am aware, it is identical to CP-437 (the original IBM-PC encoding),
> except for 18 codepoints, which have been changed to point at Polish
> characters. I have sent Tex a chart of these 18 codepoints, which you
> may find on:
> Beware that the also exist non-standard versions of the Mazovia
> non-standard. Please avoid using Mazovia if at all possible.
> Sincerely,
> J.

To heck with thinking globally. Go Boston RED SOX!
Tex Texin                      Director, International Products
Progress Software Corp.        Voice:         +1-781-280-4271
14 Oak Park                      Fax:         +1-781-280-4949