Re: Symbol for TAFKAP

From: Ashley Yakeley (ashley@semantic.org)
Date: Wed Oct 20 1999 - 06:52:50 EDT

At 1999-10-19 05:20, Michael Everson wrote:

>>Is there a codepoint for the symbol that's the name of The Artist
>>Formerly Known As Prince? If not in Unicode, perhaps in the CSUR?
>>Apologies if this question's been asked before.
>
>It's not a character, it's a logo.

I don't doubt that it shouldn't be in Unicode (because of the 'personal
character' reason that Joan Aliprand mentioned), or that it is a logo.
But it's also a character, isn't it? The guy claims it's his name, with
the intention that it should be in text.

I suppose this is drifting off-topic, but I'm fascinated by the semantics
of the situation. What is a name? In many parts of the world, one's name
is whatever you call yourself, though perhaps implied in that is that
one's name is equivalent to its representation in the local alphabet and
perhaps local phonetics.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA