RE: Mixed up priorities

From: Reynolds, Gregg (greynolds@datalogics.com)
Date: Thu Oct 21 1999 - 21:27:10 EDT

Why is the burden of proof on the users of the language? I would turn the
question around: is it really _necessary_ to leave slovak/czech "ch" out of
Unicode?

> Remember that Unicode is a standard for encoding _plain
> text_. Unicode does
> not contain sorting rules for individual languages, nor does
> it contain
> hyphenation rules for individual languages. Unicode provides

I don't see what plaintext, sorting and hyphenation have to do with it.
Slovak and Czech literates have this thing within their culture, and they
use "ch" denote it. So if plaintext doesn't accomodate "ch", then it must
not be plain text for Slovaks and Czechs. Why do we need more information
than that?

Utterly perplexed,

Gregg