Re: Slovak and Czech "CH" (was: Re:Mixed up priorities)

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Sat Oct 23 1999 - 07:15:38 EDT

Ar 01:30 -0700 1999-10-22, scríobh Christopher John Fynn:

>I think that the fact that "ch" has it's own section in Slovak dictionaries
>between "h" and "i" *is* pretty strong evidence that "ch" is a character
>in the Slovak language. Since 'à' (a grave) does not have a whole seperate
>section in French dictionaries the two cases do not seem similar.

No, it shows that they consider the sequence to be a _letter_ and they
choose to sort it in a particular way. In Northern Sámi, A and Á are
considered different letters and receive separate chapters in the
dictionary. In Irish Gaelic, A and Á are considered variants of the same
letter and are interfiled (with A preceding Á in the case of a tie).