Re: Mixed up priorities

From: Michael Everson (
Date: Tue Oct 26 1999 - 07:24:08 EDT

Ar 12:11 -0700 1999-10-25, scríobh Keld Jørn Simonsen:

>> > A letter is an element of an alphabet, which itself is a structured
>> > collection of graphic symbols used to represent one or more languages,
>> > having specific elements representing for vowels and consonants.
>A letter should also be a character, IMHO.
>Characters encodemeaning, and letters are one of the ways
>to express meaning.

You really want the !Xóõ letter dt'kx' to be representable SIX different
ways in the UCS? This means you would have:

<D><T><'><K><X><'> (these three are already encodable in the UCS)

Do you really want this? Do you really equate letter to character? I think
that, if you do, you are making a mistake.

Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta *
Guthán: +353 1 478 2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn;  Baile an Bhóthair;  Co. Átha Cliath; Éire