RE: arabic number in bidi algorithm

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sina.sharif.ac.ir)
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 19:17:28 EDT

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Reynolds, Gregg wrote:

> I wonder what the convention is in the various Arabic-speaking regions. If
> you order part number QB-362K78 over the phone, do you read the numeric
> value (l2r) or the names of the digits (r2l)?

I can't understand your question. Do you mean QB-362K78 with Arabic-Indic
digits instead of European ones? If this is the case, there is no
difference with the English one. We read all of it from left to right. But
it differs when the letters are replaced with Arabic letters. In this
case, if the left most character is a digit, all is written LTR, but if
it's a letter, all written RTL, except number blocks which are read RTL.