i18n of DNS (was: Re: UTF-5 ?

From: Martin J. Duerst (duerst@w3.org)
Date: Fri Oct 29 1999 - 09:33:27 EDT

Hello J"org,

For the definition of UTF-5, please see the document cited by Frank.
The page you found it is http://www.w3.org/International/O-URL-and-ident.html.
(w3.org, not w3c.org, although our name is W3C).

I invented UTF-5 roughly three years ago to show that it is possible
to use the DNS with its current restrictions on host names to store
internationalized domain names. People in Singapore picked it up
for some experimental implementations (see http://www.apng.org/idns/),
and at the upcomming IETF in Washington DC, there is a BOF where this
and other proposals for the i18n of the DNS will be discussed.
See http://www.ietf.org/meetings/IETF-46.html and
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/99nov/idns-agenda-99nov.txt.

Regards, Martin.

At 12:43 1999/10/28 -0700, Yung-Fong Tang wrote:
> read -http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jseng-utf5-00.txt
> status ? no idea... ask Martin....
>

> Joerg Knappen wrote:
>
> > Browsing through documents at w3c.org I came across another UTF, named UTF-5 and
> > intended for use in DNS (Domain Name Service). How is it defined? What is its
> > current status?
> >
> > --J"org Knappen
>

> 復元された添付ファイル:"c:¥program files¥eudora¥attach¥ftang41.vcf"

#-#-# Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-# mailto:duerst@w3.org http://www.w3.org