FW: unicode character on Different Unix platforms ....

From: Magda Danish (Unicode) (v-magdad@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Nov 02 1999 - 11:39:42 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: Shrinivas Kulkarni [mailto:Shrinivas_Kulkarni@i2.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 1999 6:14 AM
To: info@unicode.org
Subject: unicode character on Different Unix platforms ....

Hi,
Here is a query on Unicode.
I am building an application, which reads a multi byte character string from
text file.
The application converts this MBCS string to unicode string and writes it
into
a dbf file.
The application has to work on Sun Solaris, HP-UX and AIX .
It works fine on AIX and NT.
I use wchar_t to define a wide char (unicode) string.
On Sun solaris, wchar_t is defined as unsigned long and on HP -UX it is
defined
as unsigned int.

Is my basic assumption that unicode character is of 2 bytes wide right ?
If so
then how is that
different OSs define their own definition of wchar_t ?

waiting for your reply.

Regards
Shrinivas