FW: Problems with Classic Greek

From: Magda Danish (Unicode) (v-magdad@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 12:30:52 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Larsson [mailto:cl8tlars@cling.gu.se]
Sent: Friday, November 05, 1999 6:47 AM
To: info@unicode.org
Subject: Problems with Classic Greek

Greetings!

I am a Swedish student of computational linguistics,
and, for an assignment, I am going to construct a program
that can display classical Greek characters.

That is, not only the ordinary letters (0370-03FF)
that appear in the Windows font "Symbol",
but also the ones from "Greek Extended" (1F00-1FFF),
with extra signs above and below the vowels.

I am using Java, and when specified Unicode numbers
for the ordinary Greek (0370-03FF), it worked allright,
but the "Greek Extended" just appeared as squares.

I also tried to use the "Combining Diacritical Marks"
(0300-036F), but these also appeared as squares.

What do I need to do to solve this problem?
Do I need to install Windows Multi-Language Support?
Or do I need additional fonts?

Please reply quickly.
Thank you!

Best regards,